Monday, February 6, 2017

Color Theory


The Color Green

This is my favorite color. Pretty much always has been, and always will be. When I think of green, I think of outdoors and nature. I see this color on several food products that claim to be organic. In this way, green also symbolizes health and purity. If I could change anything to green, it'd be my house's walls. You might think, "why in the world would anybody want to have green walls?" Free green screen, that's why. On St. Patrick's Day you walk downstairs only to realize you are being filmed by your sibling and BAM! half your body is gone. Also, many foods (healthy foods in particular) are green such as broccoli, pears, and green beans. The expression "eat your greens" comes from the fact that green foods are healthy. Finally, my color is bright but can also be dark and is a secondary color.

The Color Red

This is my least favorite color. I associate red with anger, stubbornness, hatred, and violence. In many ways, red, at least in my eyes, seems to be more of a negative color. However, I do see red on some logos I like such as YouTube (I mean, who doesn't like YouTube?). This color is also on street signs (such as the yield sign and stop sign). Red serves as a warning, so the sign colors are very purposeful.  I'd like to see less everyday objects be the color red because it reminds me of bad memories and anger. Also, there is also fruits (cherries, apples) that are red. Finally, my least favorite color is bright and is a primary color.

Color Theory

Why is that logo blue? Why is it bright yellow? These questions are answered by the color theory and how it influences graphic design. For instance, the Jurassic Park movie picture has a black T-Rex upon a red background. The red serves as warning for little children as this movie might be scary. It also symbolizes violence and danger (which is shown throughout the movie). On the other hand, the HP logo is blue. This symbolizes security and trust in which they want you to have in their brand. It serves as a calming factor for customers when trying to decide on a laptop. Finally, Tropicana's logo is green because they want to symbolize health, growth, and renewal. Regarding their orange juice, they want to "renew" your body back to health if you have possibly picked up a cold. Clearly, color theory heavily influences graphic design and the way we interpret logos today.

No comments:

Post a Comment