Thursday, January 30, 2020

Professional Project Review - Childhood's End



Summary

For Pink Floyd's "Childhood's End", the main message was protesting the war in Vietnam. The slogan of the 60s and early 70s was "make love not war", so this piece seems to be dumping the war. Intercut with recording studio sessions, I think this video serves as a good reminder for what life was like back then and the culture they had.

MLA: YouTube, YouTube, www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTz09-nk9c.

Analysis & Story

As far as music videos go, the video itself is not all too technical. It's mainly historical footage from the protests and street rallies, so it can't be judged too harshly. Yet, I think they made the message clear, which is a highlight. The gas masks are a great symbol and the images of people getting hurt at the rallies is haunting.

Elements

As far as applying to my own work, I would take the strong images and clear message and make it a point to include those aspects in my film. I want my audience to understand the message instead of straining to grasp the concept. Something I have already learned is the black and white film and grain. Naturally, this was an element to some of the music videos in the 60s, but it still looks great.

Improvements

Did well: Pink Floyd did an excellent job editing to the beat and intercutting band footage with music video. I always appreciate when artists do that so it gives the audience some insight into how the music was made.

Improve: I would vary the shots a little, but it's hard to critique because it's Pink Floyd.

Thoughts

The build up in the beginning shows that we are in store for something good. Pink Floyd hardly ever disappoints. A strong ending as well!




No comments:

Post a Comment